About ten days ago I was arranging pieces (here); now it is quilted.
I was about to quickly sew one seam to make the back. Luckily I had the smarts to lay it out before stitching (I had cut the yardage in half, though). Oops. I’d needed 3 yards, but purchased only 2, operating from memory, not measurements and math. Must have been memory of a smaller quilt. Since the quilt needed to be made of Riley Blake fabrics for the challenge, I got out the print pieces left over and found enough to add. (There went all hope of eking out enough of the background for binding.) So I ended up with this.
Someday I’ll hire a full time quilt holder and take straight photos, meanwhile the sofa will have to do. The mood of the back is quite different from the front. The main fabric was purchased with more red planned for the front and sharper divisions between pieces.
All along I had oriented the top this way.
When I finally got it quilted, I reversed it.
And I like it better this way. Not sure why. Maybe the two aqua rows were too top heavy the first way.
The quilting is fairly simple: lines following the long curve made with the walking foot; the red curves free motion quilted–some zigzags to flatten the lightest red wedges, an X in the triangle print, and nothing on the red with white dots. All the rest a moderate size meander.
I gave brief thought to doing fancier quilting, different in each wedge. However, because I’d preferred the blended look to a graphic look, it seemed unifying the pieces was a better choice this time.
I still have plenty of time to bind it by April 30. (And the Threads of Resistance piece is quilted too, but that is another post.)