Yarn, like fabric, produces left overs after projects are finished. One of my friends has a great way to use them, making hats for the homeless. The pattern makes a two layered, reversible hat. The first one is hers, then comes mine. The hat starts with a tube with closed ends.
You can see how it uses up bits of yarn. Punch one end into the other to make a lining and fold up the brim; or change colors by punching the other end inside.
Fun as well as warm. Here’s mine minus the final decreases.
Mine isn’t so dramatic as my friend’s–I had quite a bit of left over red-rock yarn, but not enough for a big project. The yarn for the multi-colored stripe is really nice, so here is a close up of it–also more true to the actual colors.
I’d made a fancy shawl for my daughter of the multi-colored yarn a long time ago. It was spun from recycled silk. My hat isn’t finished because I want to buy double pointed (DP) needles to close the tube. Her instructions actually call only for 16-inch circular needles and knitting back and forth when starting stitches and ending decreases make it too small to fit the circular needles, then seaming the opening. I see no reason not to use DP needles and avoid seaming.
So this is my non-traditional entry for Scrap Happy. Click here to get links to see what other folks are doing with scraps (probably fabric).
Meanwhile, on the quilting front. Back in spring I was participating in several of Elizabeth Barton’s classes on the Academy of Quilting. The first one was Modern Art for Quilters. One assignment was to draw a grid. The sketch is here.
I made some value sketches too, then stitched it up in two color combinations. They were about 11 X 15 inches. At the time was thinking ahead to the guild quilt show and the small quilt raffle. However, only one got finished in time.
Color Study #1
The delay was in deciding how to quilt it. I had always thought of the blue as background, so went with outlining blue pieces with blue thread. Then I faced it. I wish I still had the mallet I used to use when tailoring to flatten the corners and keep the top and bottom straight, but oh well . . .
Here is the unfinished one.
Color Study #2
I’m thinking about making a larger version of this second palette.
I’ll be linking with the Tuesday Colour Linky Party (link in sdebar).