This weekend was the local guild fall retreat. I’d planned photos of the grounds and workroom, but was busy sewing and kept saying, “Tomorrow.” Today, the last tomorrow, it was raining. (Here is the link to some official photos–it is a lovely setting.) In spite of all that focus, I brought home four untouched projects and another that was only partially completed. I knew I was preparing more than I needed, but not that much more. If the projects didn’t have due dates, I’d keep the kits for the next retreat!
Alas if you are tired of the leader-ender 65 blocks. Here is a baby sized quilt top made from 12 of them.
33 x 33
The original pattern I saw showed one-inch sashing; however, I needed more width, so I thought I’d try this setting. It was a little more fiddly than I was expecting. I’d wondered if it would be too busy; I don’t think so. The blocks are made from leaders and enders; however, the cornerstones were made in a day to get them finished. This will become an infant quilt for Toy and Joy when finished. Yep, it is that time of year again.
I worked on my three F2F blocks, but won’t show them till they make it to France. They did win me the “International Belle Fabrique” award, however–the awards being a retreat tradition. The retreat leaders must have a great time coming up with the award topics!
Also I’d planned to make 10 doll quilts for the Toy and Joy project. One was already made up except for binding, so I took parts for 9 more. I had a bunch of 3 1/2 solid squares left over from last year’s Urban Chicken quilt. I had to work around the fact that squares came in sets of 4. I devised a 25 square checkerboard with a diagonal setting and used one or two additional squares in a “near” color for the line of five.
There is a fourth, an oops.
When I realized I’d sewn two strips on the wrong side, I pondered the result and decided that it didn’t look bad enough to do any unsewing. The dot fabric was a fat quarter–I think one I had gotten as door prize at a previous retreat; it was enough for two small quilts.
I had some left over fabric from a backing, a Very. Large. Print. I’d ordered it online from a site that didn’t give a sense of scale with their photos, thinking it much smaller. It prompted the new minimal design–as few pieces as possible.
20 x 20
That setting was perfect for the amount left over from other backings. I love that animal-band print! Although once before I’d done some meticulous cutting to feature various instruments and animals, it was difficult given how close the figures were. So it too was a great candidate for this setting.
And finally an alternating 4-patch setting.
24 x 24
This one helped use more of the squares than the strip setting, and I had two coordinating sets, so it could look planned.
Another plan was to finish up a year’s worth of BOMs; I finished three.
12 1/2 x 12 1/2
12 1/2 x 12 1/2
12 1/2 x 12 1/2
Since I was concentrating on time sensitive projects, this one got set aside as soon as November (earth tones) was finished. I pulled it out again at the end when there wasn’t time for another big project.
While it is great to get so much finished, that isn’t the main purpose of a quilt retreat. Meeting new guild members and getting to know others better, swapping stories while sewing–that is what it is about. And did I mention eating. The food was unbelievably good. It has always been good at Tilikum, but was much better this year. The guild plans three retreats a year–I usually make only the fall one.
Linking with Oh Scrap! and next month with Leaders and Enders Tuesday. Buttons in the sidebar.