I’d sorta planned on having more than the first border before posting next; however, I got sidetracked with Paul Farmer’s Fevers, Feuds, and Diamonds: Ebola and the Ravages of History. In it he argues for long term efforts at creating a stable medical system over short term focus on containing an epidemic, the latter efforts ending when the epidemic is declared over.He argues for contextualizing understanding of an epidemic in terms of history and reviews West African history back to the slave trade. It was an introduction to W African history for me as well as social medicine. So, a good read, but it did my sewing time in.
So what I accomplished was the second half of the first border.
One thing that I like about medallion quilts is how each addition totally changes the feel ( Here, if you want to see before the blue). Also seeing the whole totally solved the design issue I was talking about last time–more about that when I get it sewn and show it. In the abstract, I would prefer two or more rows of either or both size squares; however, this gets me to the measurement I need at the end of the first border, so I’m stopping with the two. In spite of preferring more, the last time I did a medallion, I used this same combination of two–it fit just right there too. I am always interested in how color changes the look, so here is a comparison.
In case you want to see the pastel border in context of the top, a photo is here. The top has been pinned and ready to quilt for quite a while. Back when I thought I had a deadline I was going to meander since I didn’t have a better idea. I still don’t have a better idea, but who knows what time might bring, so I’ll let it age a bit more.
And the hat. This time I used up bits whereas before I’d had enough to try to work out design.
I have folded it as I would wish the design to fall; but when worn, I think the brim will be narrower. There was enough of the multi-colored yarn to make it longer, and I wish I had. Somehow what I measure on the needles is never the length a piece is when completed, nor is my estimate for what the length of the decrease rows the same as what I end up with. Maybe if I make enough of them and stop changing needle size . . .
So till next time . . .