Another fall retreat has come and gone; I’ve been well fed, had lots of good laughs, and also managed to sew on several projects.
I liked this view of sewing machines four deep.
My first project was the one I’d laid out last week (here). I finished the top all but the border by Friday lunch (while stitching 2 1/2-inch squares as leaders and enders for the larger Irish Star (tutorial and quilt along here).
Although it had been raining, there was a brief moment when I could get an outside shot. I thought I had a perfect border fabric, but upon seeing them together, I am no longer sure.
It feels like it draws too much attention to itself and overshadows the body of the quilt. And that is not what a border is supposed to do. I’ll keep looking at it and thinking about it while also stash diving a bit deeper for alternative possibilities. Your thoughts?
Next I moved to the smaller Irish Star quilt made with bigger squares. That top took the rest of Friday and a good part of Saturday to finish. (Meanwhile continuing on the 2 1/2-inch leaders and enders.)
This one is also made from the left overs from Urban Chickens--and there are still MORE. Having those 3 1/2-inch strips/squares was enough to motivate me to do the math to use them. (The tutorial is for 1 1/2-, 2- and 2 1/2-inch squares.) Probably no math teacher would recognize my method of modifying the size. There is probably an easy formula, if only I knew it. But I ended up with 15-inch blocks (finished).
I’d started out thinking to reverse print and solid, thus making stars of prints. But as I looked at the solids in the chain, I decided all solids would look better. It will become a lap quilt for guild giving to nursing homes.
Other small finishes were two doll quilts–Fire Fighters’ Toy and Joy is coming up.
The mini charm packs came from swag at a previous retreat and had been leaders and enders then; they were waiting for borders to make them about 20 x 20. The brown stripe was in the free box; the blue came from a shopping expedition some fellow retreaters made.
I got a start on the Omaha kit I”d made up at the end of the Sunshine retreat in Omaha. (Sneak preview of the look here). The rows are made and half of them attached. More on that one later.
It’s been a while since I’ve linked to Oh Scrap! This post seems scrappy enough. 🙂