A couple Saturdays past, my local guild offered a workshop on Free Motion Quilting on a domestic machine with Christina Cameli. She would talk about strategies and designs and we would go do a couple rows trying them, then we’d repeat instruction/sewing for several rounds. It wasn’t long before it occurred to me that I could turn a practice sampler into a doll quilt. The size was right.
Down to the ribbon-candy row comes from the class. We had marked straight lines; at the bottom I didn’t bother. I can see I should bother. I also think ribbon candy would work out better if I drew in the middle line. Next time. The doll won’t care. I can’t decide if I like the square spirals in varying sizes or if I’d rather make them equal. I don’t love the three and four circles in the larger circle row, but after I did the large circles, they seemed too empty. I do like the pebbles above, both in the lines and in open space. And the long meander works up really fast. The circles-in-the-triangles row happened because we had just done a zig zag to test tension and then Christina showed us beads on a string. I decided they didn’t need a separate row. I rather like it and may use it on another quilt someday.
I showed the quilted piece to a friend and mentioned the doll-quilt destination; she volunteered the “perfect” fabric. Not that I don’t have fabric, but those big dots do fit well with the circle motifs. Too bad I didn’t have the end in mind at the beginning; I’d have used white thread for the workshop; it would have contrasted as well as the black.
I will be making more doll quilts this way–much better than a practice piece with no destination.
Our class prep had suggested four quilt sandwiches, and some of the more speedy quilters used all four; I did half of only one. I always knew I was a slow quilter, so this was no big surprise. But I was left with pieced batting in the size for doll quilts as well as class sandwiches. And I had a block ready to be made into a doll quilt. (Some of you have seen the block before, here before the border was decided.) So more practice.
Here is a tip for quilting on pieced batting:
Luckily i had two colors of PinMoors so I put orange along the stitched batting line. (Ignore the orange flower pin; only the PinMoors are markers.) Even though I’d stitched the two pieces of batting together, I wanted the extra security of quilting over them. With marking the line, I was always reminded to quilt carefully when I came to it. I’ve also marked with a double line of pins when I didn’t have the two color option. And I have yet to try the tape for piecing batting–that is on my list next time I shop.
The floral print suggested small flowers in the quilting.
Christina had suggested various motifs to insert into a meander, and that seemed good for this quilt, flowers and leaves. I started with a flower to hide the beginning, and because it was tiny I slipped into small meandering. Since it was only 18 x 18 I continued small; however, I’ll be careful on a larger quilt to move right into a larger meander!
Here is the finish:
The binding is another story. In the past I hadn’t paid much attention to fabric weave or thickness when looking for the right color solid, so this piece from my stash was a gaberdine. Well, my sewing machine balked at the multiple layers at the corners and the join. Maybe a denim needle would have helped. But it was easier to just stitch those few places by hand this time. Nowadays I am glad it is easier to find the right color in quilt weight fabrics!
Linking with TGIFF and Finish it Up Friday. Tuesday I’ll link with FreeMotion by the River. And today (2/14/16 )with Free Motion Mavericks and Le Challenge where “roundness” is the theme and there is plenty of roundness in the quilting on the first piece (buttons in sidebar).