Long ago–hard to believe it was 2012–I got most of these two tops finished at a retreat. (Here) They have been patiently waiting for final borders and quilting, so they seemed good to add to my UFO list. Of the ten I’d listed, I’ve finished three, so something small seemed a good project. I’d hoped to do two, but I forgot a couple obligations that took away from quilting time, so I finished one. I’m thinking that it pays to have a bigger goal than what can be accomplished; I think it pushes so that even if not reached, more is finished than would have been without it. Of course if you are going to play that game with yourself, you don’t dare beat yourself up for not accomplishing your whole goal!
This is the one that got finished.
It needed at least three inches of border; I was aiming for 36-inch square, and thought more would be taken up in quilting. I used the added two borders to brighten it up a bit. The blue HSTs had a duller effect than I had expected. The quilt is made from scraps, mine and others’ scraps. Two of the fabrics–the stripe and the blue star print–were left over from two queen quilts; the panel and the cream stripe came from the give-away table at a guild retreat (around 2010). The other prints were from various guild charity starter kits, made up from donated scraps. Even the back was made from scraps of flannel a friend had given me.
While not quite synchronized with the top, it does have animals. 🙂
I knew how I wanted to quilt the center and outer borders,but it took a while to decide on quilting patterns for the HST rows. I’d designed them to be two-color flying geese; however, the overall look was of two saw tooth rows. I thought maybe I could emphasize the geese units with quilting.
I knew I wanted to outline the figures in the panel, and that led to the vine with leaves for the blue and blue-checked borders.
On one side of the panel I added leaves in the sky and wished I’d thought of it when doing the first half–I’ll have to remember that when I quilt Noah #2.
For the outer two borders,I wanted to use the “wonky triangle” quilting that I found on Night Quilter’s blog. I thought of three loops in the “geese,” but decided I wanted something more transitional between the curvy center and angular outer borders. I think I got the idea that I ended up using, the three triangles per “goose,” from Angela Walters’ dot to dot quilting. Only I didn’t use dots. Even making dots is more marking than I want to do.
The corners were a challenge.
I wanted to keep the straight line going–it would have looked better if I’d done the curvy outline or at least have connected with stitch in the ditch instead of the one lone line on the 3/4 square. And you can see (lower right) where I began. Yep, I should have practiced the idea before starting on the quilt itself. It took a “goose” or two to get the bottoms of the three triangles to come out even.
And here is the wonky triangles border.
The striped border, where you can’t see the quilting, is where I practiced the border. I really like the effect of this design, and it is fast and easy after the first couple repeats. (I keep the pencil diagram nearby for moments when I forget where I am in the pattern.) I’ve done various corner turning tactics, mostly estimating how much distance is left and remembering that the first line on the new side is perpendicular to the length.
There was no binding to do because I’d “birthed” it (aka envelop style edge).