This project has had a long life; I think I started it two or three years ago as a Leader/Ender project. Once I got to sewing the longer rectangle-plus-cornerstones, the seams were too long for leaders and enders–too interrupting for my blood. (Don’t worry, I have plenty of other L/E potential.)
Needing over 160 more triangles slowed me down for a while, but now I have ~25 blocks of the 65 sewn. Not finished, because they need to be trimmed yet–I shifted the size of the triangles in the middle of the process, another hazard of long drawn out process. At first I was going to float the center squares; but later when I cut triangles the second time, I followed the directions exactly. (Here is the tutorial for the block and you can see the blocks with black sashing. I’ve seen it with white sashing, but can’t find the link at the moment.) ETA link to Deanna’s post at Wedding Dress Blue.
I’m pondering two layouts: Straight setting
I think I like the straight setting better, but the staggered would mask imperfections in lining up the blocks. The carpet on my design floor doesn’t make the best sashing. I’m thinking a nice bright blue.
As you might remember from previous posts, I don’t do random. It worked best when I finally had all the triangles cut and could pick all four at once. That happened about halfway through. Before that I cut a few and attached them where they looked good. Sometimes that left with placements I later disliked. Not enough to rip them out, though.
I’ve learned some things about working with scraps in the process. I knew, in theory, to mix types and scales of prints, and usually managed to do that.I also knew to pay more attention to value than color. That, I had varying degrees of success with. There were way too many small pieces to do the black-and-white-photo test, so I tried to use my judgment. I got a nice alternating 9-patch block (second and fourth from the left at the bottom in the above photo). Some missed alternating because I misread the value of the print; others just look like I had forgotten the original plan. One problem of two-year duration is forgetting a plan.I’d intended the cornerstones to be all dark. You can see I forgot that frequently.
Plan A had been to have medium value triangles.
But I just didn’t have that many scraps of the same medium value that were big enough, so that got abandoned. Also, it isn’t always easy to tell how a print fabric’s value will read. Matching values on opposite corners worked fairly well as Plan B.
There were some block fails.–again to learn from, not to redo.
The values in the left one work fairly well, though the daisy print reads lighter than I had expected. There is good scale variation, though the image of dots was repeated. The one on the right is less successful. Darker half and lighter bottom half don’t work as well as alternating. Plus the wood grain and green/orange dot are too busy together even though the image has changed. I think the problem is the similar values.
This one is just a bad mix. The two top prints are too close in scale and motif. And their values are too close to the cornerstone they surround. If I were to rip anything, it would be the upper right triangle.
Time to get back to the sewing machine.
Linking with Oh Scrap! and WIP Wednesday (button in side bar). And Leaders and Enders Tuesday if I don’t make any more progress.