And just in the nick of time, the last bunk quilt is finished. I left off with the top and went off to design and quilt others, but am back. Previous post is here if you want the history and fabric information.
The binding is another print from the Waterfront Park line, but I don’t remember its name. I’m trying something new here–print binding. Usually I go for solids and either the darkest color in the quilt or a color darker. Can’t get much darker than navy though, and I didn’t feel the need for more navy. I rather like that there is a bit of navy in the binding print though.
For the quilting I started with wood grain to suggest air and water currents. It shows best in the center.
It got modified a bit on the navy when I tried to go around the bridges.
And a bit more when I quilted the 6-inch aqua and navy checkerboard strip.
The quilting design works better when one is not changing thread colors. It looks much nicer when the curves are echoed more than you can when you come to the edge of a color. Filing that fact away for future reference.
The backing is a Dear Stella print; when I bought it, I was envisioning more aqua on the front. I’m not ready to try different colors on top and bobbin, so there is navy stitching on the back.
With this quilt my quilting blitz is over for a while. Time for some scrap control and designing. Stay tuned.
Tuesday I’ll link with Free Motion by the River; Thursday with Free Motion Mavericks and Needle and Thread Thursday, and Friday with LAFF, TGIFF, and Finish it up Friday. You may want to see what others are doing: Buttons in sidebar and links here where necessary. Come the 14th I’ll link with Le Challenge where the theme for the month is wood. I think wood grain quilting counts, even if it is meant to look like currents.