Class Project Becomes Doll Quilt

I signed up for Carol Friedlander’s Big Stitch class at QuiltCon. I’d registered too late to get into day classes, so I was pleased when they added some night classes. I’d become interested in big stitch–it adds just the right amount of interest sometimes. I’d wondered about starting, ending, and maintaining even stitches. It seemed to me that evenness would be harder large than small. I got the project out this week and started to work on it again. You can almost see the quilting in the full shot.

the fat quarter

We were to bring fat quarters; I’d brought two aqua ones. The man sitting beside me had brought two white ones to do double duty. He used them first in a fabric dying class then meant to big-stitch quilt them. When I admired this one, he admitted to not liking it much, and we swapped. I started out stitching along the dark lines, then decided it would be prudent to match thread and fabric as a beginner. So I began outlining “petals” of a “flower.” I finished one and started another in class. This detail view shows stitches except for where the flash washed them out.

Big stitch detail

And here is a back view.

back view

Oops. What looked like even stitches and spaces on the front doesn’t on the back. The only hint about sizing  in the class was that we could see if they looked even on the needle before pulling it through. Well, they had looked even. Here’s hoping that practice changes those small stitches and big spaces on the back. Carol taught stitching without a hoop and using a rocking stitch. I’m hoping the big puff is because I put it on the floor carelessly, and not that the back is going to be puckery.

I pondered what this project should become. Ah, fat quarters, the size is right for a doll quilt. With that thought, I decided it didn’t need more than two “flowers” to be hand quilted. So I finished the second one. I’m needing to see if my Featherweight will play nice with invisible thread, so I’ll try that for the rest of the quilting–design to be decided  when I sit down to do it. And I think I’ll fold the back to the front for binding. Lots of time. Doll quilts are not due till December; however, I’ll need the answer about invisible thread much sooner.

Linking with WIP Wednesday, Let’s Bee Social, and Needle and Thread Thursday. Buttons in the sidebar.

Advertisements

4 Comments

Filed under quilting

4 responses to “Class Project Becomes Doll Quilt

  1. dezertsuz

    That’s interesting. I really like that fabric. Nice that he would swap with you! I find that quilting without a frame is not for me. I’m not thrilled with a hoop, but it’s better than nothing. I am having the same problem as you on the back. It will look even, but then it isn’t. I guess we both need more of an up-and-down and less of a slant. I find that easy with a frame, not without one. It’ll be a terrific doll quilt. Do you have a doll in mind?

  2. Cher

    I would agree, evenness on the back is always a problem getting to look as good as the top. fun fabric! glad you can turn this into a doll quilt and good luck with invisible thread stitching.

  3. I never even thought to look at the back! so kudos to you. 🙂

    • I’ll probably go with that logic as I continue, but I will try to perfect back as well as front (eventually). Besides it being the “gold standard” to have equal on front and back, I have a history of a grandma who always turned my embroidery over to see the back.

Conversation is good, so please join in. I'll reply here if it seems relevant to others, by email, or by visiting your blog.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s