The quilt looks simpler than the previous bunk quilt, but it took longer. One reason, of course, was the pleasant distraction of QuiltCon. But the main reason was this: compensating for less feature fabric than I remembered having. I’d picked up the post card print at the freebie table at a quilt guild meeting a couple years back. As if I didn’t have enough scraps of my own, I gave a home to someone else’s scraps. Since in my memory there was “a lot,” I had planned to do something similar to what I had done with the bridge fabric in the previous quilt. I pulled a map print–seemed to fit well with the postcard theme. I had some Route 66 fabric that was my first plan, but the colors of the Paris map looked better. No matter that the post cards were New York City and the map Paris.
Well, you can see how much less there is than I had of the bridge print. I had more of the Paris map print, but I wanted to remain closer to the proportion of the sunset/sunrise peach in some of the postcards.
I’d intended checkerboard of the various colors in the post cards. But the empty area was more than I wanted to make checkerboard for. Plus the measurements were weird. Oh, I could have trimmed the feature fabric, but I didn’t want to give up any of the little that was there. I used the colors most apparent in the postcards for frames, hoping to unify the 4-patch with the feature print that way.
Since I’d planned checkerboard (made of more colors than are shown here) I hadn’t gotten any large pieces. Most fabric was from stash, but the two dull browns were purchased specifically for this. I don’t yet have a good eye for amounts. Who would think that a 4 inch border for a 50 x74 inch quilt would take a little over 3/4 yard?
If I had looked at my scraps before I shopped (what a concept) I’d have gotten another yard of the light tan. If I’d had more, I could have made the green half border narrower.
I have a lighter green–about the same value as the tan–that I’d considered using; originally I was thinking 4-inch frame all around the two four patch blocks. Moving to a two sided border was a last minute decision, and I didn’t rethink the colors I’d planned already. I should have. Now that the top is finished, I think I’d have liked four inches of the darker green around two sides and the light green as a transition to the tan. Maybe even with a couple 4-inch tan blocks from the 1/4 yard of tan I still had. Instead of ripping and redoing, I just reminded myself to think through effects of last minute changes better the next time.
The main point of the quilt was for the camper to enjoy the postcard print. The supporting fabrics, though not perfect, still allow that.
Because I used the feature fabric like a panel, I’ll link to Tuesday Archives at the end of the month. Even though it isn’t truly a scrap quilt, it is a quilt designed around a scrap. So I’ll be linking to Oh Scrap! on Sunday. Buttons in the sidebar.