After making only 11 blocks at one quilt retreat, I gave up on a finish at the second. However, I must have improved my assembly procedure as I rolled them out faster this weekend. Most fun was playing with arrangements.
Anything with color progression (no photos saved) was turning into rainbow more than I wanted, so we tried an irregular grouping. At this point I still needed 7 blocks.
After making two more blocks, we experimented with value gradations instead of color gradations in a quarter Log Cabin arrangement. I had to fudge because of the rectangle shape of the whole, so still on the light-dark-light approach, I wanted a quarter to start upper left and another in the lower right, with one overlapping the other. To make that work I’d have had to set aside some blocks and make more than five more. Not in the plans. So the light-dark-light approach was abandoned as I made more dark and medium. Here are all the blocks in their final order:
I went for an “almost quarter Log Cabin,” meaning to have two rows of dark then medium and then the mixed that were left in the last two rows. I didn’t have enough darks to do exactly that, but decided this was good enough.
The top might have been finished if I hadn’t sewn two rows in the wrong order and had to rip or if I hadn’t sewn a row and a half with an empty bobbin.
Oh, BTW, one retreat tradition is “awards.” I got the “Portland Put a Bird on it” award of Portlandia fame.
Linking with Lee at WIP Wednesday.
I had hoped to have the top all together by now, but since it isn’t, I’ll link progress to Sew Solid Sunday.