Two month’s worth of lotto blocks in one day. They may be a finished project; they may be in process. It all depends on whether I win blocks or someone else does.
September’s theme is brights. A friend gave me this great novelty print that I had to turn into traditional Variable Star blocks.
Brights month is always fun for the lotto quilts for Sunshine (link in list to right), I also kept a fifth block to make a small quilt for Fire Fighters’ Toy and Joy.
Then to save a little postage, I did the October blocks (black/white/red) as well. First I was going to do a trial run on an all triangle quilt–all black/white prints except one red triangle. Instead I managed one row.
My little triangle ruler had no measurement indicators and it turned out the triangles were 3.75 inches instead of four. Hard to get a 12 1/2 inch block that way. So I fiddled to make them fit and added strips. I still may try an all triangle quilt, but not just now. (Thinking back to the lost edges post, I see lost edges here in two of the triangles–can’t say it is an effective design feature here, just unavoidable, given the fabric prints.)
The next three started at the freebie table at quilt guild as 9-inch black and white blocks.
I had just read Jacquie Gering and Katie Pederson’s book with its chapter on slice-and-insert and thought these three orphan blocks a great place to add red that way, then add prints to get them up to 12 1/2 inches. They have been sitting around waiting for October for quite a while. Pretty amazing that I could find them now.
Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced