It all started with diving into my scraps to make kits for a charity. Some vintage red, yellow, and blue calico prints landed together on the table.
Now I don’t do much strip piecing and in the past did garment sewing, so my scraps are odd sizes and shapes. I decided to cut the largest possible, then keep cutting smaller till the scrap was used up. (Yes I saved some bits for crumbs later.)
Then I started to arrange the pieces on the design wall.
I had two ways to go: design whatever size my scraps would make or pick a size and add solids (of which I have plenty). I started planning for adding solids, but it was too hard to visualize the end result.
Two things made designing by layout difficult: the odd way they “fit” because of added seam allowances–I lost track of real sizes and seam lines, and the blank spots. So I moved to graph paper and sketched options. To do this I had to commit to a size.
The above photo is one of the options–for a doll quilt 20 x 20. I arranged the pieces I have according to the plan and counted up what I needed. I can trim down some unused larger pieces and finish it mostly with scraps. The only addition will be a 2-inch border and the back.
Check out other peoples’ design walls at Patchwork Times.