Earlier in the week I started on doll quilts (here), and pondered colors for sashing and borders. The decision became easy when I looked at the amount of each color that I had since I didn’t want to run to the store. Some of each.
The 8 1/2 inch square block got aqua borders and a little lace. About the time I was thinking the Victorian look deserved lace, I spotted some lace waiting to be put away. Lace, zippers, ribbing–I have no logical place for such things that I rarely use but don’t want to throw away. Luckily the lace had not yet reached the “out of sight out of mind” corners.
The four heart blocks became this top. Instead of sashing, I framed them. Framing is a useful solution when each block is a variant of 6 1/2 x 6 1/2. My blocks are precise only when I am sewing for a group project and they have to match with others’ blocks. It would have been nice to surround each heart block with lace, but serendipity goes only so far. This was the best use for what I had found.
Just for fun, I estimated how much improv fabric I had made. In addition to the two quilt tops, I have three 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 pieces to make into variable star doll quilt tops–these will be for the regular guild project; I’ve decided two are enough for the ballet project. The total comes to about 1/3 yard–and not all the scraps have been used yet.
One of my friends says, “If you paid $9.99 for your fabric, you also paid $9.99 for your scraps.” After spending my sewing time for one day stitching the small pieces together, I wondered if it were worth it after all. If I were the time=money type, I’d have to say, No. But I’m not. I enjoyed the process, and I like the effect.
It’s WIP Wednesday and I have a WIP; how rare is that! And a day later, Needle and Thread Thursday. Check out others’ projects–see links to the side.
ETA link to October’s NewFO. The ballet quilts are finished, alas no photos. Now I am working on more doll and bear quilts for another guild project. (Nov 2).