Stretching the monkey fabric as far as I could, I made this center row of 4-inch squares and built from there. Of course, I used all the coordinating fabrics I had used in the larger quilt. The 2 1/2-inch squares had already been cut, but not used in the larger quilt. Can’t say as I used any of the principles from the recently read design book, to create it, but I can use them to analyze it: the quilt has an underlying diagonal structure, and the monkey focal area is highlighted by contrast of value and texture variation from all the rest of the fabrics. I wonder if the two strips of three bright greens create competing focal areas. For the moment I’ve convinced myself they don’t, but you are invited to comment if you think otherwise. (I am using the design book ideas while creating another barely formulated plan. Stay tuned.)
When I had bought the striped fabric it had seemed bright. I was surprised at how dull it looked in the other quilt after I made the middle row using a medium green. (That’s why I added the bright green and red.) This time the dark green livens the bright colors, and the striped fabric especially looks more like it had looked to me in the store.
I’m going to experiment with stitching front to back and then quilting it. No quilting plan yet.