One day I received a surprise package in the mail, a box of fabric and notions. Inside was a note to take what I wanted to use for a charity quilt and add what I wanted and move it along. I took the above monkey fabric and coordinating prints. It was immediately apparent that there wasn’t enough fabric to get to 40 x 60, so I set it aside till I had time to stash dive. I did find some coordinating solids. And at a recent trip to the fabric store for another project, a bolt of striped fabric had “followed me home.” (Pauses to remember kids claiming a kitten had followed them home when she was sure she had heard, “Here Kitty, Kitty.”)
Over the weekend in a rare house cleaning moment, I decided it would be easier to sew it up than to put it away. 🙂 I cut 3 monkey blocks that were 10 1/2 x 10 1/2, 3 that were 5 1/2 and 7 that were 4 1/2; in other words, I cut as many pieces as I could as large as I could. I tried various settings with the coordinating fabrics and decided on the above for starters.
I might have made more progress if I hadn’t signed up for a workshop with Nancy Lee Chong and spent yesterday learning <gasp> APPLIQUE. I’ve resisted it for many years, but I do have to admit it often adds a nice finishing touch. Nancy’s approach sounded painless, and indeed it was.
The Mini Blossom was designed to give practice in each of the five basic lines any applique would require. My first goal is to work on the project regularly enough to not forget what I learned. Maybe the second goal is to finish it. Although I never force myself to finish a class project, I don’t go so far as a friend of mine who takes a Sharpie and writes the date on what she has done in class so she never feels it as a UFO (UnFinished Object–for non-quilters). I leave the possibility open, but feel no guilt to leave it sitting. Tune in around next year to see the eventual decision.