Once in the dim past at a quilt retreat, a friend was making a butterfly quilt. It was the kind of pattern where you cut rectangles, make diagonal seams, and whack off triangles. No, she had no plans for the triangles. So they became my Leaders and Enders. Since she had coordinated the colors, I wanted to use them in a single project. They languished because I don’t often use cream colored thread, but they finally got their turn. And their press, and some got their trim.
I played with arrangements.
Those were two of the best, both known old patterns. A true “depression block” would have varied neutrals as well, but I was using what I had (surely a depression value). Balkan Puzzle has long been a favorite, and I will make one someday. But it is really an all over pattern, not suitable for three size triangles and varied size blocks, as was my initial intent.
When I started to trim the smaller HSTs I realized that most were half of the larger HST size. That started a new design search. And I returned to the Flock-of-Geese block that I had done for a previous challenge.
This seemed the most efficient use. (I was actually amazed at how little space could be covered by that apparently large stack I’d just trimmed.) Now the question is whether there will be enough for an infant quilt or maybe a slightly larger child quilt…more trimming will tell.
I almost started to sew the small triangles together, thinking to arrange in pregrouped four-patch blocks. But I could see some real stand-out fabrics, so I decided to wait till all were trimmed and laid out on the design wall. I could see that the green with the cranberry dot would need to be well distributed; it seemed the most demanding. Bright pink came next and then dark aqua. Tune in “soon” to see what comes of it. First I must bind the golf quilt before I get too serious about stitching these HSTs.
I think it qualifies as new because it wasn’t really a project until I could start laying them out. So I’ll be linking with New FO today (where Kate #8 has a butterfly that looks very like the origin of my HSTs though made by a different method).
4/21/15 It has gotten this far–still needs a border and quilting, etc. Since I’m “slacking” on the leaders and enders front (quilting doesn’t give much opportunity to progress), I’m showing an old L & E and scrappy project for Leaders and Enders Tuesday and Oh Scrap! Sunday. Buttons in sidebar.