Not only is “Road Trip” my first complete finish of 2013, it is probably my oldest UFO. There was a block challenge in the late 70s or early 80s, and it was my submission. I had always planned to make three more, set them mirror image and make a pillow. But you know how it goes. I set it aside, and used the fabric in other things and couldn’t make a pillow. As I mentioned a couple posts ago, my local guild is having a small quilt silent auction at our Spring quilt show. Then it was a finished top; now it is a finished quilt, 12 x 12, quilted, bound, and hangers applied.
The quilting is minimal because it is so busy. This is the first time I measured the width of my binding correctly and the best I have done on mitered corners so far. I still have a ways to go.
I was tickled to find Route 66 fabric for the back. It was on the swap table at guild. I am glad someone else had finished with it.
I might have finished earlier in the day except my other project took longer than I had allowed for it. (Not too new of an experience.) I wanted to make blocks for an online guild’s block lotto. Blocks are submitted in pairs, one goes to the charity, Sunshine (link to right), and the other into a pot. Each pair is an entry into the drawing. Although it is only a block, it is a finish because it is ready to send. Of course it could come back to me accompanied by the other submissions…all will be some variation of blue and yellow.
The curvy one is made from the “Curves for Squares” ruler designed by Karla Alexander. The curves really show up better with high contrast fabrics like these than with the more medium pink and blue in the other quilt I made with it. The angular one is made from the triangles I cut away when making flying geese for the golf quilt. A 2 x 4 “goose” block gives cut away triangles that can make half-square-triangle blocks of 1 3/4 (1 1/4 finished). I had 48, but one was too small, so I used 20 for each member of the pair. After they were trimmed, I pushed them around till I got the above arrangement. I don’t know the name of the block, but I’ll bet it has one already. The 20 made a 7 1/2 inch square block so I added enough of the background fabric to bring it to the required 12 1/2 x 12 1/2.
I’m linking up to UFO Sunday. Check out how thers are finishing off projects. When you go to the link to the right you will get to directions for posting. Scroll way down to come to the list of archives. Clicking on January will get you to today’s gathering.